The tract of land now known as Copley Township was originally purchased as 16,531 acres from The Connecticut Land Company for $26,087 in 1807 by Gardiner Greene. Mr. Greene originally called this area Greenfield but later named it Copley in honor of his wife, Elizabeth Copley Greene. On July 15, 1819, the town gathered to elect its first Township Officers. Among those elected were three Trustees and one Treasurer.
Two hundred years later, Copley Township is still governed by four elected officials: the Board of Trustees with three members and a Fiscal Officer.
The Township has seen so many changes in its 200 years, but community groups, volunteers, and Township employees continually work to preserve the past while striving to secure the future. The Copley Bicentennial Committee is one of those groups, coordinating a series of events to celebrate Copley's past and its future in this present anniversary year.